Thursday, October 2, 2008

respect

one day my daughter asked me what respect is. hmm. how to define respect? I looked up the meaning in wikipedia.. :) This is what the collective society has to say about it.. (and Im glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was hard to define!)


"RESPECT is one of the most (if not the most) important attributes for society to maintain, yet is hard to define.

On its broadest level respect is the acknowledgment that someone has value.

They may be rich, work very hard, or may simply treat everyone in a way that gives them value.

The importance on this value is that it changes peoples reactions towards you, usually in a positive way.

Respect is treating others the way you would like them to treat you.

A person is more likely to treat you with respect if you do what is asked of you instead of arguing with them.

It is the value you earned while doing what you were told that has led the person to respect you and therefore treat you nicely."

hmm. I printed it out and hung it at work. Some people liked it.. others rolled their eyes.

I was just reading Happier Than God by Neale Donald Walsch. I have been reading little bits at a time to help absorb it. Here's a little bit of his book:

"Whatever you wish to experience in your own lifetime, cause another to experience in theirs. If you wish to experience love, cause another to be loved. If you wish to experience abundance, cause another to be abundant. If you wish to experience success, cause another to be successful. If you wish to experience power, cause another to be powerful. If you wish to experience wisdom, cause another to be wise. If you wish to experience romance, cause another to be romanced. If you wish to experience forgiveness, cause another to be forgiven. If you wish to experience safety and security, cause another to be safe and secure.. (it goes on like this)

..what I am saying here is that Personal Creation begins best with another. Focus first on the other, the other always the other, never first on the Self, and that which the Self wishes to experience will be realized sevenfold. Whatever you wish to create for yourself, create for another. This is the Energy of Attraction at its most powerful.

Why this works: What you bring to another, you bring to the Self, for this is no other in ultimate reality. There is only the Self. When you understand this, you understand everything you will ever need to know about how to be happier than God."

Now I agree, and disagree. All that is ringing through my head is when you are in a plane, and it's going down.. put your own mask on first so that you may help others afterward. I guess there's always exceptions.. But this is the "do unto others as you would do unto yourself" theory. And I agree. Those who are outwardly joyful and loving, I find myself more happy and loving in their presence. Those who help me, I feel the desire to help out too.

dont you?

okay, I should be cleaning.. so off I go to clean. I thought I would share that little bit of wisdom with you on a chilly Thursday!

x's!

No comments: