Wednesday, September 9, 2009

strawberry cultural practices

"Several weeks before planting, the soil is fumigated with a combination of methyl bromide and chloropicrin applied under a sealed plastic tarp, which is removed after at least 48 hours. Plants are set by hand into deep, narrow grooves on premoistened beds. Clear polyethylene mulch is applied, usually in November, to warm the soil and increase early plant growth. If bed fumigation is used, plants are set through slits in the plastic, which stays in place until the plants are removed. Florida has adapted its system to match the California system, except black plastic is used, as have other Southeastern States, with some modifications for colder winters."
I read it HERE.

do you know what that means?

Yep. They fumigate the ground with poison, incubate that for a bit.. put in your strawberry plants then put more poison mulch on top of those plants and cover it with plastic.

I always wondered why U.S. strawberries NEVER had any bugs feasting on them. They look pristine when they arrive at the grocer. I am far to swift to know that they couldn't possibly inspect them THAT thoroughly. Not to say that Canada DOESN'T do that, because I just don't know and haven't researched it yet. But what I DO know is THIS: I will be either growing my own or buying organic.

Again, maybe I'm a freak, but I think I would rather NOT eat something that even the bugs know enough not to eat.

What do you think?

No comments: